The Oncology Centre offers both Radiotherapy and Medication treatment. Its scope of services spans clinical evaluation, treatment planning, individualized radiation therapy and follow-up care.
Some of the highlights of the centre include:
- Radixact Tomotherapy System
- Four-dimensional Computer Tomography (4DCT)
- 5 dedicated 3D treatment planning workstations with Intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) & Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) capabilities, enabling fine and fast delivery of treatment plans which better protect normal structures from unnecessary irradiation.
- 2 networked Agility and Precise Linear Accelerators with Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT). The accelerators supported both X-ray and electron modes with a total of 10 different energies.
- VMAT with up to 5mm leaf width is capable to interdigitate over an area of 40 x 40 cm
- PET-CT and PET-MRI
- Active breath holding device for reducing target volume in the lung and upper abdomen, enables doctors to prescribe a higher dose because more tissue sparing is now made possible so that control of tumor growth is more effective with less side effects.
- 11 beds including advanced recliners and beds for chemo therapy day treatment
- Radiographic simulator with cone beam CT capability
- Radioisotope treatment for diseases like carcinoma of thyroid & bone metastasis.
- Dedicated isolations suite that facilitates brachytherapy for gynaecological cancer and thyroid cancer.
Radiotherapy controls and destroys malignant cells with high intensity radiation.
While killing the malignant cells, it may affect normal cells around them also. A precise and accurate treatment plan can minimize injury to normal cells, therefore protecting the strength and function of other organs of patients during the treatment period. Our oncology centre invests proactively on the state-of-the-art technologies designed for managing tumors of different natures and profiles in a precise and accurate manner.
Tomotherapy delivers radiation in a helical pattern, and is generally used for the management of malignant cells with uneven profile, or cases with lesions widely distributed throughout the whole body.
When it comes to the control of side effects of radiotherapy, precision matters. HKBH pioneered the industry by introducing Accuray® Radixact™ X9 to deliver tomotherapy. The synchronized move of the 360° rotating gantry and the shiftable couch enables radiation attack the malignant cells from different angles and in different intensities, thereby increasing accuracy in targeting the malignant cells, and minimizing harm done on normal cells.
As a result of weight loss, it is common that position of tumor relative to other organs change during the treatment period. And, there will be slight differences in the posture every time when the patient lays on the couch. To optimize accuracy for the treatment, Radixact makes uses of megavoltage CT (MVCT) and Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT), to enable medical team compare the MVCT image obtained on spot with the image recorded in the treatment plan before targeting the tumor with IGRT.
The CT made before every treatment empowers medical team to closely monitor changes happened inside the body and enables them to implement adaptive radiation therapy when necessary.
While most Linear Accelerators spans 40cm, Radixat covers up to 135cm. This gives it an edge in the management of Medulloblastoma, cases involving multi-lesions cases, or lesions that are widely dispersed throughout the whole body.
- Four-dimensional Computer Tomography (4DCT)
For cancers like lung cancer and liver cancer, position of the tumor changes as one breathes. In addition to provide 3D images, 4DCT tracks and traces movement of the tumors as well as position of different organs. Its ability to locate and outline profile of tumor in a precise and accurate manner provides important information for the medical team to develop even more accurate and effective treatment plan for patients with respiratory and liver related cancers.
Complemented with Active Breathing Control and related technologies, 4DCT supports Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy
- The Stereotactic Radiosurgery (X-Knife)
The Stereotactic Radiosurgery System offers a non-surgical, safe and effective modality for the treatment of a wide variety of brain pathologies with the least trauma and complications. Its clinical application spans:
- Small and medium sized arteriovenous malformations
- Malignant brain tumours such as malignant gliomas and brain metastases
- Benign non-invasive tumours such as pituitary adenomas, acoustic neuromas and meningiomas
- Identifiable residual tumours not removed during surgery
- Modification of functional targets in the brain such as the thalamus
- Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT)
IGRT allows accurate radiation delivery, helps decrease treatment margins and volumes, allows dose escalation to improve tumour control and reduce toxicity.
- Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT)
IMRT modulates field shape and dose delivered during RT treatment, increases dose conformity to irregularly shaped tumor and preserves nearby normal structures.
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
VMAT is possible with 5mm leaf width capable to interdigitate over an area of over 40 x 40 cm, enabling fine and fast delivery of treatment plans which better protect normal structures from unnecessary irradiation.
Medication treatment is one of the major modalities in cancer management. It can be given alone or used in combination with radiation therapy.
Chemotherapy drugs are rapidly developing and evolving in recent years. Treatment results are improved while side-effects are reduced.
Our Chemotherapy Centre aims to provide timely treatment for cancer patients in a comfortable environment. Located at G/F, Block B, the Centre provides 11 beds including 8 advanced recliners and 3 beds, and can serve up to 22 patients a day. The recliners provide great flexibility allowing patients to choose whether to sit comfortably or simply lie down in receiving treatment. Personal LCD TV, radio, and Wi-Fi service are also available in each cubicle to help patients unwind for treatment.
Experienced nurses at the Centre will also provide professional support and counseling to patients.
- Targeted Therapy
Targeted therapy is used extensively in breast cancer, colon cancer and lymphoma. Research in molecule biology resulted in a clear picture of molecular processes or the cellular level. Specific drugs are developed against these targets.
- Endocrine Therapy
Some cancers are affected by and depend on hormone for growth. Breast cancer, prostate cancer and thyroid cancer are common examples. Endocrine therapy has been extensively developed and utilized in specific cancer treatment.
|Monday – Friday||9:00am – 5:00pm|
|Saturday||9:00am – 1:00pm|
|Sunday and Public Holidays||Closed|
For enquiries and appointments, please contact: (By appointment only)