Minimally Invasive and Colorectal Diseases Centre
The Minimally Invasive Surgery & Colorectal Diseases Centre of Hong Kong Baptist Hospital is the first colorectal diseases centre established in local private hospitals. The Centre, staffed by an experienced consultant colorectal surgeon and backed up by the advanced integrated minimally invasive surgery operating theatres, provides comprehensive and high-quality services.
- Colonoscopy examination and screening
- Colorectal cancer surgery (including laparoscopic colorectal surgery)
Surgical resection is still the mainstay of treatment for colorectal cancer. In recent years, minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopic surgery) has become more prevalent than traditional open surgery in the treatment of colorectal cancers.
Minimally invasive surgery has the following benefits over the traditional open approach:
• The surgeon views the magnified images of a patient’s interior on a high-definition monitor, the dissection is thus more precise
• Less blood loss
• Smaller wounds
• Less pain and less post-operative complications
• Faster postoperative recovery and shorter hospital stay
- Perianal operations, including stapled haemorrhoidectomy and anal fistula excision
Haemorrhoid is a very common disease in Hong Kong. In the past, patients were unwilling to have traditional haemorrhoid excision as it would cause an excruciating pain for 6 to 8 weeks after the operation. With the recent introduction of the stapled haemorrhoidectomy, the treatment of haemorrhoid has been revolutionized. The procedure is conducted inside the anus with no external wounds. It greatly reduces the post-operative pain which lasts for one week only. The procedure has thus become the standard treatment of haemorrhoid.
- Other laparoscopic surgeries, including cholecystectomy, adrenalectomy, hernia repair
The HKBH Minimal Invasive Surgery System – the Endo-laparoscopic Operating Theatres are specially designed for modern laparoscopic surgery. The theatres are equipped with high-definition monitors and laparoscopic equipment. Any combinations of laparoscopic and endoscopic surgery can be performed simultaneously, which greatly enhances the quality of the surgery.
|Monday to Friday||10:00am to 1:00pm
3:00pm to 6:00pm
|Saturday||10:00am to 1:00pm|
|Sunday and Public Holidays||Closed|
For enquiries and appointments, please contact us at: (By appointment only)
Endoscopy Service package
The Centre provides the package services for the following diagnosis.
- Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy
Packages include nursing assessment, endoscopy room, day bed, specialist fee, sedation and 1 doctor consultation for report.
1. Additional medications and materials are not included.
2. Additional charges for therapeutic procedures such as polypectomy, Rubber Band ligation of haemorrhoids, pathology examination etc.
Colonoscopy Examination and Screening
The incidence of colorectal cancer is increasing rapidly in recent years, and it is now the second most common cancer in Hong Kong. Patients with the following symptoms must seek medical advice and have colonoscopy examination without delay:
- Blood or mucus in stool
- Change in bowel habit (constipation or diarrhea) or decreased stool calibre
- Appetite decreases
- Weight loss
However, patients with early colorectal cancers are usually asymptomatic. When the aforementioned symptoms present, most of these patients probably have developed advanced cancer. Most colorectal cancers have a precursor stage of polyps. If polyps are found and removed during colonoscopy examination, colorectal cancers can be prevented.
The American Cancer Society recommends routine colorectal screening starting from the age of 50, even if the person is totally asymptomatic. The colonoscopy procedure at our centre is performed by an experienced consultant, patients’ safety is thus reassured during the procedure.